It is rare I will give you a link to a recipe by someone else but I do so in this case because I have to give props to one of my favorite chef’s – Chef John. His last name is Mitzewich and his blog is Food Wishes. I have to use his recipe b/c I was introduced to Agrodolce by a Giada de Laurentis recipe, only her recipe is for pork chops and Chef John’s recipe is pork shoulder, which I have an abundance of at present that I have to cook. There is another reason; Chef John puts a lot of extra stuff in his sauce. I will add a dash of red wine to this dish. Chef John’s recipe is exactly listed below; but is cut in half for two people and with the addition of red wine. In Italian Agro means sour and Dolce means sweet.
• 1 Lb. pork shoulder picnic roast, cut into chunks after cutting away fat
• 1 TBSP tomato paste
• 3 TBSP balsamic vinegar (I use the local Galena Garlic Company)
• 1 TBSP distilled white vinegar
• 1 TBSP dry red wine
• 2 TBSP honey
• 1 anchovy fillet mashed
• 1 clove minced garlic
• 1 scallion (green onion) chopped
• ½ TBSP minced fresh rosemary
• ½ TBSP kosher salt
• Small dash red chili flakes (~ ½ tsp)
• ½ tsp black pepper
Combine sauce and whisk. Add the meat and coat. Place in an oven proof pan, roast at 325⁰ 1 hour, turn meat over, cook another hour or until tender. Serve over Ricotta Mashed Potatoes.